McCurdy Group - Insurance and Financial Consultants

Wednesday, November 25, 2009

Tax Treatment of Energy Saving Improvements

If you are planning to make energy saving improvements to your home and you do so before the end of 2009, you can get a tax credit on your 2009 return. The following are some of the highlights:
10% credit up to $200 on window/skylight/storm window replacements
10% credit up to $500 for exterior doors and storm doors
10% credit up to $500 for installing insulation
$300 for >14 SEER HVAC replacement
$150 for >95 AFUE boiler/furnace replacment
Even if you purchase multiple products you can only get a maximum of $1,500 over the 2-year period (2009 & 2010). Basically you can spend up to $5,000 during this 2 year period on a single or multiple products, and get 30% or $1,500 (30% of $5,000 = $1,500) back as a tax credit. If you get the entire $1,500 credit in 2009, then you can't get anything additional in 2010.

No comments:

Post a Comment