McCurdy Group - Insurance and Financial Consultants

Wednesday, March 21, 2012

Important Homeowners Insurance Question - Who is living in the house?

In order to have a homeowners insurance policy on a house, the homeowner must be living in the home during the course of the year. The named insured on the insurance policy should match the name(s) on the deed. If the adult children of the owner - or the parents of the owner - (or any other individuals who are not the legal owners) are the people living in the house, a dwelling fire policy must be written on the house, and the residents should have renter’s insurance (HO4) for their personal property. It’s not unusual for a homeowner to allow relatives to live in one of their properties; what’s important is to make sure that the correct insurance is in place.