McCurdy Group - Insurance and Financial Consultants

Friday, August 22, 2014

Kids Going Away to College

Well it’s that time of year again to prepare for our kids to go back to school and if you are sending them away to college, you have so many things to think about. If you child is not going to be commuting and will be living on campus you need to consider a few things.

Does my homeowner’s or tenant’s policy cover my child while they’re away at college? Well that depends…does your child live in a dorm or do they have their own apartment? If they’re in the dorm room then they would have 10% of your Personal Property coverage limit from your policy BUT if they have their own apartment; then they will need a tenant’s policy for coverage.

Most students have computers that they will be taking with them, do you have that computer scheduled? The basic homeowner’s policies don’t cover the computers if they are dropped, lost, or are damaged by that glass of soda that may get spilled on it. Scheduling that computer will give you peace of mind which is something that is in short supply in these times of change.

No comments:

Post a Comment