McCurdy Group - Insurance and Financial Consultants

Wednesday, January 22, 2014

Ordinance or Law

If you have a home that is 15 years or older, you need to think about a special coverage for your home. The coverage is called “Ordinance or Law” and it covers you at the time of a loss if you have to make updates to your home because the building codes have changed since your house was built. This applies even though the changes have nothing to do with your loss. For instance, if you have a loss and your town ordinance requires that you replace all the wiring in your house, your coverage may not be enough for this without the Ordinance or Law coverage being added to your policy.  Your homeowners policy coverage will pay for the damage according to the limitations and exclusions of your policy but there is no coverage to repair or replace what is not damaged but is simply not up to code anymore.  That's where Ordinance or Law kicks in. If you are not sure if you have this coverage, please contact your Insurance Agent to discuss your options.

No comments:

Post a Comment