McCurdy Group - Insurance and Financial Consultants

Monday, June 20, 2011

Groundwater Problems & Your Homeowners Policy

What your Homeowners Policy Doesn't Cover

The basic homeowners policy does not cover damage from water entering at or below the surface of the ground. Examples include sewer water that backs up into your home through the basement floor drain or water that seeps through your foundation from heavy rains. To be short and sweet: when water comes into a home at or below ground level, the resulting damage is NOT covered.

How to Protect Yourself

You can try to control the problem by installing a sump pump. You can also buy a battery backup for your pump which can be critical if there is a power outage or a large volume of water for your pump to handle.

From an insurance standpoint, you can purchase an endorsement to be added to your homeowners policy called Sewer Backup Coverage.

You can also consider Federal Flood Insurance. Contact your insurance agent for more information on this program. Be aware that Flood Insurance has a 30-day waiting period after it is purchased before a flood will be covered so plan ahead. Also personal property in a basement or area where all four walls are below ground is NOT covered by a flood policy.


  1. Renter's quotations are always described when you shift into a new leased house. However, if you know that your property owner already provides insurance coverage, then it can be complicated to know whether you need it too.

  2. I have perused your article, it is exceptionally instructive and supportive for me.I appreciate the profitable data you offer in your articles. A debt of gratitude is in order for posting it.. HOA Management Services